Michigan’s entrepreneurial and investment community has seen success and profits from funding and employing diverse professionals, but more progress can be made. Although Michigan meets or exceeds the national average of diversity within our venture capital industry, the state can set a benchmark for the industry that more clearly reflects representative populations while simultaneously inspiring and teaching the next generation of Michigan entrepreneurs and investors.
There is also a major talent shortage within Michigan that successful internship programs can play a positive role in helping to close those talent gaps and retain talent within the State.
Paid internships have shown to be key indicators when it comes to job offers for college students, however research has shown that racial/ethnic minorities are less likely to get paid internships.
Michigan Venture Capital Association (MVCA) has a history of championing diversity through a successful venture fellows program along with creating awareness on the disparity of diversity in the VC/entrepreneurial community through webinars and published articles by the membership.
Interns would receive real-world entrepreneurial experience that will help equip them in their pursuance of a career as either an investor or entrepreneur.
- Students would benefit from a paid, part-time, in-person internship.
- Each student would receive essential skills training through M VCA that focuses on different areas such as entrepreneurial, venture capital and soft skills that will benefit their educational growth.
- Each student would receive ongoing mentoring from their employer during the internship.
- Working closely with a Michigan VC firm (in-person) for approximately 12-weeks (May-August, 2022)
- Networking opportunities within fellow students and VCs. (A special networking event will also be combined with Michigan Founders Fund interns)
- Two educational sessions
- Each intern is paid by the individual VC firm and is average rate is $15-20 an hour but at the discretion of the individual firm
To apply for an internship, please send the following:
- Cover letter describing future career goals related to being involved in the entrepreneurial and investment community in Michigan as well as what the student hopes to accomplish during the internship.
- Two written references (letters of recommendation).
Send above information to: [email protected] (No phone calls please)
- Students must be 18 years old by the start of the internship employment and currently enrolled and in good standing.
- Open to undergraduate and graduate students. No major would need to be declared to be an eligible candidate.
- All application submissions will be pre-screened by MVCA to ensure applicants meet initial program criteria.
- MVCA will then recommend applicants to the MVCA talent committee for review and potential interview. (Recommendations will be made at the discretion of the MVCA).
- All interviews, candidate selection, hiring process, and related communication will be done by the venture firms participating in the program.
Current list of Michigan VC firms interested in hosting a student intern:
Red Cedar Ventures
Space is limited! DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: March 1, 2022.