MVCA is excited to announce the release of the newly updated 2018 Michigan Entrepreneurial and Investment Landscape Guide! The guide is a critical resource for entrepreneurs who want to connect with investors, entrepreneurial support organizations, and service providers in Michigan. Included in the guide is contact information, addresses, sectors and stages for venture firms and angel organizations. By providing this information, we hope to bridge meaningful connections that can help entrepreneurs grow their idea into a business.
According to the 2018 MVCA Research Report, Michigan’s entrepreneurial and investment community is continuing to gain momentum with 68 startups receiving $179 million of venture capital investment – a 100 percent increase over the last five years. The updated Landscape Guide contains 150 profiles of venture firms, angel investor groups, entrepreneurial support organizations, and service providers that are supporting the growth of these companies.
Based on the information collected, here is a snapshot of Michigan’s entrepreneurial and investment community in 2018:
- Michigan is served by 2,480 professionals working at 150 organizations.
- There are 52 investment organizations in Michigan, with 50 actively investing.
- Of the 52 investment organizations in the state, the primary focus is seed-stage information technology companies.
- There are 98 entrepreneurial support organizations in Michigan.
- Of the 98 entrepreneurial support organizations in Michigan, the dominant focus is idea/pre-seed and seed-stage information technology companies.
- Ann Arbor has a total of 48 entrepreneurial support and investment organizations, making it the most densely populated areas in Michigan for entrepreneurial support and investment organizations.
Michigan is attracting attention from out-of-state investors, emphasizing the importance of building connections with firms from across the country. Research shows that 472 venture firms from outside of Michigan have invested in Michigan-based startups, a 376% increase over the last five years. MVCA provides a Landscape Map that allows users to navigate the community by sector, geographic location, and organization type. Unlike the Landscape Guide, the Landscape Map also includes Michigan-based venture capital firms’ portfolio companies and out-of-state organizations. These resources unite organizations from across the country that want to expand their networks and build a robust entrepreneurial and investment community in Michigan.
MVCA Members, grab a hard copy of the newly updated 2018 Michigan Entrepreneurial and Investment Landscape Guide on September 12, 2018 at the MVCA Member Networking Reception!
Mark your calendars for the 2018 MVCA Annual Awards Dinner with Governor Rick Snyder on Oct. 2 at Eastern Market in Detroit! The MVCA Annual Awards Dinner is the only MVCA event open to the public and is our most significant event of the year. This year, MVCA is proud to include the MVCA Annual Awards Dinner as part of Start MI UP: Michigan Ventures Forward, a multi-day event hosted by Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) designed to showcase the state’s growing investment opportunities in Detroit and Ann Arbor.
You don’t want to miss it. Register here and spread the word using #MVCAwards18!