Come Work at MVCA! We’re Hiring a Marketing & Communications Manager
Job Opening: Marketing & Communications Manager
Michigan Venture Capital Association (MVCA)
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
We seek a highly-organized, self-directed, and detail-oriented marketing & communications manager to work with the entrepreneurial and investment community in Michigan. The individual will work collaboratively with a broad range of constituencies, including investors, entrepreneurs, public officials, media and others while playing a significant role in developing and promoting MVCA’s message.
The marketing & communications manager will be part of a small, but highly effective MVCA staff, and will be largely responsible for the association’s marketing and communications strategy and execution but will need to be flexible in supporting other core functions of the association. This position reports to the executive director.
Communicating with key stakeholders about the Michigan entrepreneurial and investment community. Responsibilities may include:
- Ensuring an annual marketing and communications plan is developed and executed in a timely manner
- Incorporates major events, reports, and activities pertaining to MVCA and its membership
- Focuses on marketing and PR campaigns to reach targeted audiences (ex. membership, legislators, out-of-state investors, organizations that invest in venture capital, high net worth individuals, etc.)
- Managing communication with the website and/or graphic design agencies to fulfill needs for marketing collateral (ex. writer, social media images, etc.)
- Developing and growing relationships with the membership and MVCA board members; act as a trusted advisor for media strategy, targets and key messages
- Pitching and placing stories about major successes and activities to local and national press
- Working with the MVCA team on MVCA branding and templates
- Working with the MVCA team and outside web firm to keep website content, messaging, photos up-to-date
- Writing, editing, and proofreading pitches, press releases and other content to ensure quality and consistency with appropriate writing styles
- Tracking and reporting on media coverage and relationships, website analytics and social media to present progress on marketing and communications plan
- Responsibilities based on current activities:
Supporting the execution of MVCA events that strengthen the association and the Michigan entrepreneurial and investment community. Responsibilities may include:
- Working with the MVCA events and program manager to ensure marketing and communication plan is developed and executed for all events through presentations, blog posts, press, social media, etc.
- Focuses on marketing to/reaching specific audiences
- Incorporates multiple communication outlets (ex. social media, blog, press)
- Attending and networking at most MVCA events (hosted and partner events) with rest of MVCA team to ensure up-to-date activities are being woven into marketing and communications plan
Supporting the execution of MVCA publications that create a unified voice for the entrepreneurial and investment community. Responsibilities may include:
- Driving media relations strategy for MVCA Annual Research Report, Michigan Entrepreneurial & Investment Landscape Guide and additional studies.
- Working with the executive director to develop messaging in the annual research report, write/revise content, and create talking points for membership
Sharing in the administrative support of MVCA. Responsibilities may include:
- Maintaining Nutshell database, membership lists, meeting preparation and meeting follow-up
- Scheduling and meeting coordination
- Other Misc. administrative tasks
Key skills and attributes include:
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Creative with the ability to develop proactive campaigns and content that is informative and engaging to membership
- Excellent verbal communication, strong organizational and multitasking skills, and exceptional interpersonal skills
- Exhibit strong focus on traditional PR skills including technical writing and working with media
- Strong relationships with local and national media
- Superior writing and editing skills, including crafting pitches, press releases, blog posts and other content
- Some knowledge of the entrepreneurial and investment community is preferred.
Educational and other requirements:
- BS/MS degree in marketing, public relations, English or a related field
- Experience with Microsoft Office, WordPress, and MailChimp
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations, digital marketing, and/or communications-related field
- Some evening work and travel will be required (MVCA events, MVCA outreach trips to other states)
- Some photography and/or video skills are preferred but not required
Competitive salary offered commensurate with experience.
About the MVCA
The Michigan Venture Capital Association is a catalyst for building a strong, diverse, and vibrant entrepreneurial and investment community in Michigan. MVCA members are venture capitalists, angel investors, economic development organizations, higher-education institutions, and industry service providers – all working together to build this community.
Bucking national trends toward declining entrepreneurial activity, Michigan has enjoyed consistent, steady growth in venture capital investment and the number of venture capital firms and investment professionals. Michigan’s burgeoning community of entrepreneurs, venture capital firms, and angel networks have created an environment ripe with demand for the programs and services the MVCA offers.
MVCA helps build the Michigan entrepreneurial and investment community through advocacy, events, outreach, research, and programs.
If interested in applying, please send a resume along with a one-page cover letter telling us what’s the most interesting thing about you that we wouldn’t learn from your resume alone. Send to MVCA Executive Director, Maureen Miller Brosnan at [email protected]
Posted May 21, 2018 in MVCA NEWS