Job Opening: Executive Director
Michigan Venture Capital Association
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
The Executive Director will work collaboratively with a broad range of constituencies, including venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, others in the technology community, and public officials to advance entrepreneurship and access to venture capital, while playing a major role in shaping and articulating the vision for MVCA’s success.
The Executive Director position will report to the MVCA Board of Directors and be responsible for the MVCA’s continued growth via member and industry relationships, strategic initiatives, and special projects. The position will also be responsible for the daily affairs of the MVCA, including staff oversight, operational execution, financial management, and the successful delivery of the research and marketing strategy.
Job responsibilities include:
Educating key stakeholders about Michigan venture community, both nationally and statewide
- Conceive of and establish strategic priorities related to marketing and communications
- Build and leverage relationships to promote Michigan’s venture community
- Continue to build MVCA’s brand and serve as the informed source of venture capital in Michigan
- Represent MVCA at events and gatherings in the entrepreneurial and investment community
- Build relationships nationally with the goal of raising Michigan’s profile and increasing outside investment in the state
Building and administering MVCA programs to attract and retain the best talent for the venture capital community in Michigan
- Comply with all contract requirements of the current MVCA grants
- Seek additional grants and funding to support MVCA programs
- Interfacing with and managing relationships with key partners at the Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Support and work closely with the MVCA Board of Directors and Committees to ensure organizational goals and objectives are met
- Attract, retain, support and supervise MVCA staff and contractors, including annual performance reviews
- Manage and oversee all administrative, operational, marketing and financial matters
- Maintain strong relationships with MVCA members
Key skills and attributes include:
- Player-coach leadership style – enjoys digging in and working with staff to accomplish objectives while also creating a great work environment and developing your team.
- Thrives working in a small team environment where creatively, efficiency and value creation are key.
- Applicable professional work experience related to the delivery of successful services and programs.
- Strong program development, marketing, strategic planning, and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively network and build relationships with various internal and external constituencies.
- Strong public speaking skills; ability to present strong and persuasive oral and written communications.