As 2017 comes to a close, we want to thank the outstanding members of Michigan’s entrepreneurial and investment community. We had the honor of celebrating MVCA’s 15-year anniversary this year, which began with only three pioneer venture firms in Michigan. Now, we proudly represent over 100 organizations from across the country who are coming together to build a strong entrepreneurial and investment community in Michigan. Without the work of Michigan’s investors, entrepreneurs, economic development organizations, and service providers, we wouldn’t be where we are today.
In the last 15 years, Michigan’s entrepreneurial and investment community achieved:
- a 200 percent increase in the number of startup companies receiving venture capital investment.
- a 150 percent increase in the amount of capital invested in local startups.
- a 300 percent increase in the number of venture capital firms.
- a 700 percent increase in capital under management.
Looking back on this year, one common theme stands out above the rest: building meaningful connections is a powerful thing.
As we embark on a new year, we want to take a look back at a few of MVCA’s highlights in 2017.
In 2017, the Michigan Venture Capital Association:
- Built relationships with legislators to promote policies that support future venture capital investment.
- Established Michigan as a prime location for investment with three targeted outreach trips to Chicago, Boston, and Ohio.
- Published the ever popular and useful 2017 MVCA Research Report and 2017 Michigan Entrepreneurial & Investment Guide.
- Announced the digital release of NEW! regional entrepreneurial studies for Detroit and West Michigan.
- Spent the day on the bus and moderated the panel discussion on Ann Arbor’s entrepreneurial and investment community with Steve Case’s Rise of the Rest Tour.
- Placed four MVCA Venture Fellows as part of our Venture Upstart Grant from Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC).
- Recognized 12 nominees for the 2017 MVCA Annual Awards Dinner. The 2017 MVCA Annual Awards Dinner webpage was the third most popular webpage on the MVCA website.
- Achieved record-breaking attendance at the 2017 MVCA Annual Awards Dinner with nearly 300 attendees, an 18 percent increase from 2016.
- Enjoyed over 100 pieces of coverage, including national publications, such as Forbes, TechCrunch, Strictly VC, VentureBeat, and Axios around the 2017 MVCA Research Report, Regional Entrepreneurial Studies, and member news.
While there is much to celebrate, there is still much to do to continue this growth. We must ensure there is capital for early-stage funding to support Michigan’s entrepreneurs and the growth of high-growth, high-potential companies. As part of this initiative, we encourage you to spread the word about the exciting activity happening in Michigan’s entrepreneurial and investment community!
- Cite the information from the 2017 MVCA Research Report to show the growth and activity happening in Michigan’s venture capital industry.
- Attend MVCA events to build meaningful connections with Michigan’s entrepreneurial and investment community.
- And, bring the 2017 Michigan Entrepreneurial & Investment Guide on trips and invite people to meet with Michigan investors and entrepreneurial support organizations, so they can learn about the investment opportunities in the state. Always feel free to connect them with us for facilitating introductions.
- Click here if you are interested in learning more about MVCA membership!
In 2018, we will continue to work with legislators, community builders, private and out-of-state investors, and other key stakeholders to strengthen Michigan’s entrepreneurial and investment community and increase the amount of capital available to fund tomorrow’s big ideas today.