MVCA is looking for an awesome summer intern to work at our office in Ann Arbor.
We seek a highly-organized, self-directed, and detail-oriented summer intern to work with the entrepreneurial and investment community in Michigan. The individual will work collaboratively with a broad range of constituencies, including venture capitalists, public officials, media and others in Michigan’s early stage investor and entrepreneurial community, while playing a major role in showcasing MVCA’s message and events.
The Summer Intern position will report to the MVCA Associate Director and be responsible for MVCA’s event execution, industry research for the Entrepreneurial & Investment Landscape Guide, program communication and database management.
This position will give the candidate the opportunity to network with venture firms located both in and outside Michigan. MBA students are often ideal candidates for MVCA’s Venture Fellow Program and MVCA’s summer intern will be in a unique position to network and evaluate firms for a culture fit should he/she wish to eventually participate in that program.
MOST IMPORTANT – MUST BE ABLE TO WORK WELL AND HANG OUT WITH THESE COOL CATS:
About the MVCA
The Michigan Venture Capital Association is a catalyst for building a strong, diverse, and vibrant entrepreneurial and investment community in Michigan. MVCA members are venture capitalists, angel investors, economic development organizations, higher-education institutions, and industry service providers – all working together to build this community.
Bucking national trends toward declining venture capital activity, Michigan has enjoyed consistent, steady growth in venture capital investment, number of venture capital firms, and numbers of investment professionals. Michigan’s burgeoning community of entrepreneurs, venture capital firms, and angel networks has created an environment ripe with demand for the programs and services the MVCA offers.
MVCA helps build the Michigan entrepreneurial and investment community through advocacy, events, outreach, research, and programs.
Communicating with key stakeholders about Michigan Venture Community. Responsibilities may include:
- Working with the entrepreneurial and investment community to gather information for compilation of the 2017 Entrepreneurial & Investment Landscape Guide
- Working with MVCA marketing and communications manager to develop comprehensive roll out plan for promotion and distribution of the 2017 Landscape Guide
Executing MVCA events that strengthen the Association and the network of the Michigan entrepreneurial and investment community. Responsibilities may include:
- Attendance and networking at all MVCA events (hosted and partner events)
- Managing registration, logistics and execution of events
- Working closely with the Events & Program Manager to ensure communication plan is executed for all events and through presentations, press, social media, etc.
- Possible Summer 2016 events:
- The Follow On
- Outreach Trips outside of Michigan
- Networking Receptions
- MVCAcademy for young professionals in the entrepreneurial community
Executing MVCA programs that attract and retain the best talent for the Michigan venture capital community. Responsibilities may include:
- Communicating program guidelines to interested parties
- Scheduling, attending meetings with interested parties’ with the Associate and/or Executive Director
- Potential proposal creation and rough draft writing
Providing administrative support. Responsibilities may include:
- Supporting and working closely with the MVCA team to ensure organizational goals and objectives are met
- Maintaining Nutshell database designed to track industry contacts, membership lists, meeting preparation and meeting follow-up
- Assisting in obtaining information for grant reporting requirements
- Other misc. administrative tasks
Key skills and attributes include:
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with the ability to managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and exceptional organizational skills
- Familiarity or willingness to learn QuickBooks
- Some knowledge of the entrepreneurial and investment community preferred
Educational and other requirements:
- Current MBA student preferred, consideration will be given to current BBA students
- Some evening work and travel around the state may be required.
Competitive salary offered commensurate with experience.
Please send a resume along with an e-mail (no cover letters!) briefly describing:
- Why you are interested in the position
- What skills, experience, traits you think would make you a good fit for the position
- What you are hoping to get out of the internship
- Requested start date (we are flexible, sometime in first few weeks of May preferred)